Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Pointed in the Correct Direction


Greetings Friends,

Ever wonder where your loyalties really lie? Here in Canada, we have a compass - a Vote Compass to tell us. Maybe you want to give it a try; if so, here's the link. I gave it a whirl the other day and found out I'm a Liberal. As if there was any doubt.

For my friends in the United States, a Canadian Liberal is way, way to the left. A Canadian Conservative is more in tune with a middle of the road, fiscally conservative Democrat. If you're looking for something akin to a Republican, check in Alberta. Other than there, they don't exist here. 

As for the other parties, the New Democrats (NDP) would be considered outright Communists, and the Bloc Quebecois would be compared to Civil War-era Confederates with their isolationist attitude. The one party that's really getting the shit end of the stick is the Green Party. I'm not sure what they represent; I understand the "green" connotation, but they're not getting much attention. Canada's environmental platform is even more shameful than the one in the U.S. and  it seems people are doing their best to ignore the "Greenies". They're sort of like Ralph Nader: they re-appear every four years and start squawking about how no one pays any attention to them. What they stand for is something of a mystery. 

So things are really heating up here. The buses are in motion and the baby-kissing has commenced. 7 million Canadians have used the Vote Compass so far, and I hope that number will keep rising. Regardless of how you feel about the necessity of this election, it never hurts to educate yourself on the issues and exercise your right to vote in a democratic society. I shudder to think what life would be like without this ability. 

Nava

2 comments:

  1. So basically what you are saying is I wouldn't exist in Canada..? ;-)

    Actually, that makes sense...most of the fiscal conservative Republicans (like myself) that I know from Canada live in the U.S. now. The conversation always starts with "...I USED TO live in Canada (eyeroll)..."!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well...

    I've always been fond of saying that we look the same, but culturally we're very different.

    Having lived in both countries, I can say with total honesty, that yes, Pete, fiscally conservative Republicans have a hard time here. But Alberta is a great place to live - if you love snow, cows and oil! :-)

    ReplyDelete