Friday, April 16, 2010

Embracing the Unexpected

Greetings Friends,

We've all had those days when we think we have every detail planned and expect to do certain things at certain times. When things unexpectedly go all wonky and you don't accomplish what you set out to do, it can sometimes be frustrating. But, if the day leads you to unexpected places, and the time is well-spent, then it is worth embracing, and reflecting on what you did, even if you didn't accomplish the specific tasks you laid out for yourself.

I had lunch with a friend today (very good, very spicy Thai food) whom I hadn't seen for a while. We chatted about our lives and what was going on, and then she suggested a walk with her two dogs. My friend R. has two impeccably trained greyhounds who understand commands in English, French and Yiddish. We took a leisurely stroll through her neighbourhood, taking in the varieties of magnolia trees in front of many of the homes.R. is in the middle of an extensive landscaping project and spent most of last winter trying to decide which species of tree she would like to plant in her garden. Magnolias are very pretty, but she's looking for a tree that is dog friendly and will provide some shade. So, even though she admires all the different varieties of magnolia, she is still deciding on which trees she will eventually plant.

As we walked, I was in awe of how obedient her dogs were, and how even though they are large animals, and she is very petite, she was walking them; they were not walking her. There was an unspoken understanding between them, and it was a wonder to behold. I hadn't enjoyed a leisurely walk in a very long time. It was a wonderfully unexpected way to spend the afternoon.

So, here I am, in yet another Starbucks, reflecting on my unexpected afternoon lunching and walking with my friend. It wasn't what I was expecting to do, but it was a welcome diversion from the tasks I had set out for myself. What needs to get done will eventually be accomplished, just not as early as I had originally planned. That's one of the best perks of being a writer: even if you have a deadline, self-imposed or otherwise, you often find that circumstances will lead you astray, but whatever you are working on will still be there waiting for you when you return from your diversion. Mind you, I do not indulge in diversionary activities every day, but once in a while, a good diversion is not only welcome, but necessary to keep you on track. Sometimes you really do have to stop and smell the roses.

Speaking of smelling, make sure you visit Perfume Posse to read my latest post, "SJP NYC".

Have a wonderful weekend.

Nava

No comments:

Post a Comment