Sunday, April 18, 2010

All My Teams Suck

Here's a "Supplemental Sunday" entry that I just can't stop myself from sharing. It's my blog after all. Having one's own blog to share one's every thought with the great electronic void otherwise known as the Internet, is part and parcel of why there is rampant narcissism in the world today. But, like every "normal" person, I do not consider myself a narcissist.

Last night, while watching the Vancouver Canucks play the Los Angeles Kings in the first round of this year's marathon Stanley Cup playoffs, I realized how pissed off I am about how badly all the sports teams I cheer for, suck. The New York Islanders, my favourite hockey team for most of my life, had a glorious run of 4 consecutive Stanley Cup victories from 1980 to 1983. There were minor flashes of brilliance afterward, but none that will ever surpass the "Dynasty" era. They have since sunken into an abyss I fear they will not emerge from until after yours truly is 6 feet under, pushing up daisies. My second favourite hockey team, the Toronto Maple Leafs, have not won a Stanley Cup in 43 years. Their future doesn't look all that rosy, either. I believe the Hockey Gods have a beef with me; there's my narcissism rearing its ugly head.

My baseball teams, the New York Mets and the Toronto Blue Jays, have been equally as disappointing. The Mets more so because they've just embarked on their second season in shiny new CitiField with a less than stellar beginning. I wonder how many Mets fans are writing hate mail to that Ponzi master, Bernard Madoff, since he practically bankrupted the Wilpon family, bilking them out of somewhere in the vicinity of half a billion dollars. Fred and Jeff can put up a brave front, but we all know they no longer have the proverbial pot to piss in.

The Blue Jays, now that their best pitcher plays for the Philadelphia Phillies, are in the same boat as my beloved Leafs. It's a bit more obvious in the Jays' case, since they play in a building that holds 55,000 fans, but about 54,800 of them can't be bothered to show up. If that were the case over at the Air Canada Centre for Leafs home games, you'd bet they'd have won a few more Cups since the Summer of Love. No such luck. Which is why, as I stated, all my teams suck. But, I'm not giving up. This "narcissist" doesn't believe her ass is too special not to be kicked; its been kicked too many times already.

See you tomorrow.

Nava

No comments:

Post a Comment