Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Apartment Building Living 101


Greetings Friends,

Sorry for the absence, but I was busy getting situated in my new apartment. Why is it that images like the one above are never really what your apartment looks like? The example I chose is one you see only in decorating magazines or on sitcoms, where cool single people live and life is perfect. Well, beyond the facade, there are imperfections. Somehow, they never find their way into a script, and nobody ever gets to see them. Apartments in "fantasy land" are always perfect, while in reality, they are far from it. 

This is actually my second apartment in a building. My first two were in houses, and those had an entirely different set of issues. Apartment building living is all right, for the most part, but there are certain challenges. Are house apartments and building apartments similar? Yes. Are they different? Yes. Which one do I prefer? Honestly, neither. As a former homeowner, my goal is to get back there one day. 

In the meantime, "home sweet home" is shaping up rather nicely. During my first week I committed a few faux pas, but nothing too terrible. I mistakenly shoved loose bubble wrap down the garbage chute (no biggie), I blew a fuse while using my electric kettle and toaster simultaneously (again, no biggie), and yesterday, I left a sock trail coming back from the laundry room. My well-meaning next-door neighbour was nice enough to retrieve them and give them back to me. Whew! At least it wasn't underwear! Nevertheless, I was slightly mortified. Is it really any of my neighbour's business what my socks look like?

This place has a very different feel from my last building apartment. For one, this is a much older building, and I don't have my own thermostat. Both my radiators are turned off, and I'm comfortable despite the outdoor cold. The hallways, however, are Turkish steam baths, and I'm already worried that I won't be able to find the proper rectangular model air conditioner I'm going to need come summer. In my last apartment, I had my very own washer and dryer. In this one, I fear I might go broke doing my laundry. It's shaping up to be about a $12 a week proposition. 

So far, these are my only complaints. If that's all there is, then I should consider myself lucky. As long as I do my work, keep to myself and mind my business, I should be fine. The chances of having rocket scientists for neighbours are slim to none. But, I really don't care. As long as the door is closed and no one invades my space, that's quite all right with me. Things are definitely moving in the right direction.

Nava

No comments:

Post a Comment