Monday, June 21, 2010

Where Do You Draw the Line?

Greetings Friends,

I hope everyone had an enjoyable weekend.

The past few weeks have been interesting from a work perspective. I completed a huge copy writing project for a new Canadian payment processing company and am in the middle of a few more interesting projects. One in particular is for a pharmaceutical distributor here in Toronto. He doesn't have a huge inventory, but what he does sell is um, rather personal. And it has me simultaneously grossed out and giggling like an 8 year-old schoolboy performing the classic armpit fart manoeuvre that always leaves 'em laughing in the living room.
 
A person of my advanced years who is attempting to make a living as a writer, probably shouldn't be giggling her head off while writing copy for hemorrhoid treatments, laxatives and feminine hygiene products. But, since I work alone, I can't help it. I'm not doing it in a cruel or malicious way, nor do I find humour in the particular afflictions these remedies attempt to cure. The thing is, when you work alone, you can be as un-PC as you want, and no one will be the wiser. Except, of course, if you take to the great electronic void and share it with the rest of humanity.

Years ago, a friend of mine wanted to get me one of those romance novel writing kits so I could pen a bodice ripper for the Harlequin set. Never happened; I had to draw the line.

If I had it in me, I'd love to write one of those sprawling 1,000 page epics like Gregory David Roberts' Shantarum or Ken Follet's The Pillars of the Earth. Those are some killer reads. They were two books I was sad to finish, because they captured my imagination in such a way that I felt like Alice falling down the rabbit hole into an alternate universe. Except, I wanted to stay; I never wanted to leave.

In the meantime, I write what I need to write, and immerse myself into fiction when time allows. Regardless of the topics, I still enjoy what I do, and take great pride in whatever the topic is, whenever I "visit" my work online. Next up is copy for a Garra Rufa fish massage site. Don't ask; I'll tell you about it soon enough.

See you on Wednesday.

Nava

No comments:

Post a Comment