Friday, May 14, 2010

Dressing Up: Pain or Pleasure?

Greetings Friends, 

Is that not an absolutely stunning picture of Audrey Hepburn? Why is it that some women are able to make beauty look so effortless, and others just look so out of sorts - you know, the old silk hat on a pig scenario? Like that Twilight girl, Kristen Stewart: in every photograph I've seen of her in "fancy dress", she has such a look of agony on her face, you'd think someone was plucking out her toenails with a pair of needle-nose pliers.

I don't know - maybe AH was getting woozy from sucking it in, or her feet were killing her; you'd never know it from that serene expression on her face, and her flawless posture. It's a 60 year old image and I doubt airbrushing technology was as good then as it is today. My guess is that she really was that beautiful in person, pain and suffering be damned. It was part of her job, and she did it so well.

I hate getting dressed up. I do so as infrequently as possible. Give me a pair of jeans, a nice t-shirt and I'm set. I love my shoes and purses, but I'm not part of the scarf wearing minions who can't go anywhere without  wads of fabric wrapped around their necks. Please...it's not that cold. I keep it as simple as possible and that's how I like it. I always say I would have been completely miserable in the days of bustles and bone-crushing corsets. If I was playing Scarlett O'Hara in one of those get-ups, there'd be barbecue and pie exploded all over my voluminous frock, because I never could have passed up two of my favourite foods for the glory of having a 17-inch waist.

These days I'm thankful I don't have to make any appearances in a corporate setting with dress codes and enormous dry cleaning bills; jeans and t-shirts rule...hopefully for a very, very long time.

Have a glorious weekend.

Nava

No comments:

Post a Comment