Monday, May 17, 2010

My Perfume, Along with Other Things, is Killing Me!

Greetings Friends,

After a puzzling 15-minute power outage wrought havoc in my technical life, I am happy to say, all is well and functioning; for the most part.

My daily Internet travels unearthed this "interesting" article today: Five things you use every day that may be killing you. And, to further induce paranoia, read this, too. Then, you can make a fully informed decision as to whether you ever leave the house again, or choose to live as a full-blown agoraphobic.

Look, something will eventually kill you. It's a fact of life. If you choose to live your life in fear of perfume, non-stick cookware, cleaning products and plastic bottles, then go with God. If you can manage to exercise some common sense and good judgment, then maybe things won't be so bad. I often think we're all floating around like a feather, which Tom Hanks thought in the movie, Forrest Gump. I say that because we all know one or two people who seemingly manage to "float" through life. They may be dizzy, clueless, completely ignorant, or just prone to the occasional "blonde" moment; you don't need to be blonde to have a "blonde" moment, by the way.

The fifth item that puts the fear of God into people is mobile phones. I share that fear. I see too many people behind the wheels of cars completely distracted because they are yakking into a mobile device. Plus, the statistics for accidents caused by phone use while driving are climbing at an alarming rate. Unfortunately, no amount of diligence on the part of law enforcement is ever going to solve this problem. They can pull over countless guilty drivers and slap them with astronomical fines, but the the truth is, the offending individuals will likely not learn their lesson until it is too late. Another fact - a sad and unfortunate fact - of life.

In the meantime, I'm just going to fly by the seat of my pants; I'll wear my perfumes, use my non-stick cookware and occasionally drink out of plastic water bottles. However, I do make it a practice to avoid talking while driving, and I NEVER text while driving. My brain function has sufficiently evolved to recognize the jeopardy I'd put myself, as well as others in, by doing something so profoundly irresponsible. I hope others can do the same. I'd look really stupid going out and about dressed head-to-toe in bubble wrap. That's a look only Lady GaGa can pull off; and even that's debatable.

Nava

No comments:

Post a Comment